About Us






__Town of Sanford__

Previous Years

Contact Us



Annual Membership Meeting Minutes

August 25, 2017



The Annual Meeting of the Oquaga Lake Improvement Association was called to order at 7:11 pm on August 25, 2017, at Scotts Family Resort Ballroom by President Mark.


Thirty-one of 80 paid Association member properties being represented, constituting 39% of the paid membership; therefore, a quorum was present.  (By-Laws require twenty percent as a quorum.)

A.  Opening Comments

Mark welcomed those present.  Mark asked if there were new owners in attendance; there were none.

Mark noted that Tracy M was signing cookbooks: 100% of the profits benefit the Food Bank of the Southern Tier.

Barbara acknowledged the passing of neighbors since the last annual meeting:  Chris McDonald, Ferris Akel, and David Smith just this week.  All good friends of the Lake and they are missed.

 B.  Approval of Minutes and Treasurer's Report

There was a motion to waive the reading of the Secretaryís minutes as they are available on the website, but Barbara insisted on reading the major categories.  Motion by Carole P to accept the minutes as summarized, seconded by Ross P.  Passed unanimously. 

Marie D handed out the Treasurerís report including the financials and the membership list.  There are 79 paid regular members, one associate member, and 23 unpaid members.  Third and final invoices will be sent.  Marie noted that once again we had income over expenses. 

There was a question about the purchase of flares.  Koen noted that we normally order flares about every five years and he estimated we have supply for another two years.

There was a comment that total available funds was down a little from previous years; Marie noted this occurred in late 2015 when funds were moved from money market into checking to cover dam and boat launch repairs. 

Motion to accept the Treasurerís Report by Gary H, second by Peggy R.  Passed unanimously. 

C.  Committee Reports 

Fish Report:  Koen reported that fish were stocked a week earlier than Motherís Day this year with $2000 worth of trout: about 300 browns and 300 rainbows.

Fishing Tournament:  Koen reported that about 36 fishermen, mostly children and always fun, participated in the fishing tournament.  Lizzy C had a catfish greater than two pounds.  Colin J had the largest trout at just under two pounds.

Water Quality:  Ben and Heather are doing testing this year.  We have been participating in this program for close to 30 years.  While the latest report is not available yet from DEC, it will be posted on the website along with the previous years.  We believe the water quality is still outstanding.  Volunteers are always needed to collect samples on the water and to prepare the samples on the shore.  Previously, some kids from Deposit volunteered to help; they used this as their required community service project and it looks good on a college resume.

Field Games and Water Sports:  Heather H and her crew were thanked for their service.  This year was a little cooler and wetter than last year but 14 people participated in the Gruel-athon.  It was reported that about fifty children participated in the Field Sports on Family Day and a few less for the Water Sports.  Two new games were introduced and favorably accepted.  The Boys won the Tug-of-War but the Girls promise a comeback next year.  As usual, the high dive was a major hit.

Standing Committees:  Mark read the list of Committees and encouraged members to volunteer.

  • Land Use and Zoning, attending Town meetings.
  • Events
  • Water Quality
  • Membership and Welcome Committee
  • Boating / Boater Safety
  • Fishing
  • History
  • Newsletter
  • Sewer

C.  Old Business:

Site Plan Approval:  Early in the season, the Town of Sanford sent a letter to all members, reminding them that site plan approval may be required for building projects.  Basically, all property that touches the Lake is in the protected Lake Overlay zone and requires Planning Board and possibly Zoning Board approval.

Building Over the Sewer Easement:  The Town also asked the Board to remind members not to build over the sewer easement: no decks, gardens, paving.  To build over the easement requires written Town Board approval.  You might be disappointed with the result if the Town needs to tear things up to make repairs.

Bears:  Mark has investigated a community bear proof dumpster.  Getting everyone to contribute to the cost would be difficult.  Individual bear-proof garbage cans are an alternative for individual owners and offer an option for people who depart the Lake on Sunday and need to leave garbage out until Tuesday. 

Can the Association Own Property Tax Exempt?  One of our attorneys on the Lake looked into this.  Basically, as we have no charitable function to the public, owning Lake property tax free is not an option.

Dam Committee:  Dick H reminded the membership that we also have a Dam Committee.  The primary purpose is to inspect it for proper working order, and to repair when needed.

Clean Up Day.  The Saturday after the Fourth of July event had a good turnout of eight to ten people who filled Koenís Gator to overflowing.

D.  New Business

Quote for Event Insurance:  The question has been asked if there is some exposure to the Association when we hold events, such as the Games and Picnic.  Some of our events include alcohol.  Mark has investigated event insurance; the coverage is $250 for $1 million dollar coverage; an extra $50 if alcohol is included.

Superior Plus Energy:  This business in the Village sells propane and oil.  They have written a letter offering to discount purchases by our property owners, simply by identifying themselves as Association members.  OLIA does not endorse any business but we bring the offer to the attention of the members.

Bluestone Wind is proposing a 124 megawatt wind generation project in the Towns of Sanford and Windsor.  It involves 40 towers with large wind turbines between Windsor and Sanford, west of Route 41.  More information can be found by googling Bluestone Wind.  The project will probably not visible from the Lake.  Mark disclosed he has been retained by both Towns in the review of applications.

Speed of Vehicles Around the Lake:  Barbara requested a motion to approach the County in getting a three-way stop installed at the corner of Hanson Road and Oquaga Lake Road, heading down to the Village.  After discussion about road speed and related issues concerning road safety, a motion was offered by Dave N and seconded by Ron A.  Passed unanimously.

Historical Documents:  Mark has obtained some interesting old documents from the MacInnes family including some minutes from 1906 and 1907.  The plan is to scan the documents and put them on the website.

E.  Election of Officers

The terms of Mark M, Jestina D, Judy R, and Heather H are expiring.  All agreed to continue to service.  Motion by Dick H; second by David S.  Passed unanimously.

F.  Open Discussion

Clearing Along the Road:  There were several complaints about the cutting back of brush and cleaning the culverts along the roads that was done earlier this year.  Both on Hanson Road and Oquaga Lake Road, the jobs were poorly done.  It would have been nice if notice had been given.

Communications:  Bulk e-mail.  Barbara is working on a blog for membership.  We will continue to work on improving the newsletter and the website.

Emergency Response:  Responders come to us from Deposit.  There are talks to with Windsor, Conklin, Hancock.  It was pointed out that there is a defibrillator in the Ballroom at Scotts.


Mark thanked those in attendance for coming and thanked Scotts for the continued use of their facilities.

Mark asked for a motion to adjourn.  Several were offered and seconded.  The meeting was adjourned at 7:58pm.

Minutes respectfully submitted:


OLIA Secretary

August 25, 2017


Board of Directors Meeting to Appoint Officers

Attending:  Ron, Marie, Koen, Dick, Heather, Gary, Barbara, Mark, Joe, Judy

As required by the By-Laws, the Board of Directors met immediately following the general meeting for the appointment of Officers.  The meeting was called to order at 8:05pm.  Koen made a motion that the current slate of officers remain in place.  Second by Dick.  Passed unanimously.

Meeting adjourned at 8:06pm.

Minutes respectfully submitted:


August 25, 2017

Last update 12/07/2017

 About Us ] [ Now ] [ Summer ] [ Winter ][ Documents ] [ Links ]

 [ Town of Sanford ]  [ Previous Years ] Contact Us ]